Friday, December 14, 2007

Not all is for naught

Here are some things I am thankful for in relation to getting stuck in extremely snowy highway traffic for about five hours after work:













  • It wasn't six hours
  • Of the dozens of broken down/abandoned/stuck cars and jack-knifed trucks I saw, none seemed to be serious accidents
  • My car wasn't among them... I love my little Hyundai.
  • The two electricians late to work at the train station who chatted with me for a portion of the non-journey while they were stuck in their truck next to me.
  • The opportunity to stick my head out the window and just let the snow fall on my face, letting the beauty of it sink in.
  • The many friends commiserating with me via text messaging.
  • Daryl going through the same thing a mile ahead of me... It made me feel less alone.
  • Sufjan Steven's Songs for Christmas... relaxing music is key.
  • That I didn't die when in the middle of Rt 4 my windshield wipers got icy and stuck.
  • That I didn't die when I had to pull to the side to fix them.
  • That my dad encouraged me to learn to hold my bladder during family vacations... also key.
  • That my heat works... almost too well.
  • Daryl called me with advice for a faster escape... (I still love you for this).
  • I learned of the joy that can be found in 10mph.
  • That I made it up an unplowed on-ramp for 195.
  • Ryan Bankas came to shovel out my parking spot for me.
  • Jillian offered to brew some tea for me.
  • I made it to Corey's birthday celebration in Fort Minor.
  • Neck warming pillows and relaxing massages.
  • Irish Hot Chocolate

What I'd really like to know though, is where in the world were all the snow plows when they were needed?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and what i really want to know is WHY THE SNOW DOESN'T COME HERE! ha. i want snow so badly but probably we're not gonna get it...


Sarah, i am sooo glad you posted again. and your list is awesome. and pssst...i recently obtained sufjan steven's songs for christmas...i am pretty stoked about this.

we need to talk soon. <3

Suzanna said...

this was so inspiring

h. e. c. said...

they actually fired the officials who were in charge of snowploughs for their poor handling of the situation.. but the governor was away that day and my coworkers argue that the lt. governor is to blame.