Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Catalyst

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

So if you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings


This song has frequently found it's way to my mind since I watched White Christmas earlier this season. It's a rather simple song, but something about it (probably enhanced by Bing Crosby's voice) resonates within me. All too often in our culture, and especially at this time of year, we get wrapped up in what we don't have and the pressures surrounding us. And sometimes those pressures are really big, hard to deal with, life altering things... but I wonder if instead of focusing so thoroughly on the tough things in our lives, if we took time regularly to think about the ways we feel loved and the ways we are blessed, what changes that might cause. When I am told that I've been a blessing, it matters. It affects me. I might shrug and say, "no worries," but I'm glad and it affects my mood. When I see people around me dealing with serious stuff yet finding things to be joyful about, it makes me recognize the blessings surrounding me. That's how I want to be. That's what I want to be to you. Counting blessings can be a catalyst for change.

3 comments:

beijos said...

thank you

Anonymous said...

<3 you are wonderful sarah.

and this is a wonderful reminder.

Suzanna said...

that's what you are to me